SMILO Annual Conference
The island of Culatra, Portugal hosts the 6th SMILO Annual Conference on September 25-29, 2022.
This event gathered participants from:
- 23 islands: Aného, Bassar, Bolama, Brownsea, Chole & Jibondo, Culatra, Canna Island and Fair Isle, Formentera, Frioul, Gombrani, Gozo, Hvar, Kerkennah, Lastovo, Madeira, Ouvéa, Pangatalan, Porquerolles, Principe, Saint Honorat, Santa Luzia, Sifnos, Zlarin.
- 20 different countries: England, Brazil, Canada, Cape Verde, Croatia, Spain, France, Greece, Guinea-Bissau, Malta, Mauritius, New Zealand, Philippines, Portugal, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, USA.
On this occasion, SMILO organised its General Assembly, and different activities were implemented to imply our partners within our network, to create connections between different islands and organisations, and to exchange good practices and lessons learned.
- Culatra Conference Program (ENG)
- Culatra Conference Program (FR)
- Presentation – SMILO: One year on islands
- Presentation – Self-financing on the islands and fostering new economic trends:
– Maam Nature – Valorisation of forest products by the women of the Sine Saloum (Jean Goepp)
– Formentera Case Study on protecting local marine ecosystem (Daisee Aguilera)
– Reducing pressures on marine ecosystem Development of sustainable local entrepreneurship (Marie-Aude Sevin)
- Presentation : Renewable energy
– Introduction to sustainable energy on Islands (Janio Monteiro)
– Culatra’s Energy cooperative creation experience (Joni Nichael Buchinho dos Santos)
– Creating Energy with waste and using solar energy to desalinate water (Leila Texeira)
– Paving the way to become energy-independant, example from Scottish Islands (Clea Warner)