Many islands face a lack of conventional energies being locally available, and are forced to import and/or use fossil fuels from the continent. These solutions make them dependent, are often costly and generate a strong ecological footprint and greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to climate change, which small islands may be the first victims of. In other cases, the energy requirements of households put a
lot of pressure on fragile island environments and local ecosystems – such as taking tropical wood from mangroves for firewood or coal production.
THEREFORE, PARTNERS MUST AT LEAST:
- Reduce energy consumption at the source by raising users’ awareness and using less energy-intensive technologies – low energy appliances, energy efficient heating and cooling equipment (such as problems related to air conditioning, even though islands are often cooled by sea winds).
- Increase energy efficiency of the island’s buildings – electricity, heating, air-conditioning – and infrastructure (public lighting, etc.), including in protected historical areas, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions thanks to innovative technologies and foster and promote bioclimatic architecture: natural insulation and air conditioning, etc.
AND PROGRESSIVELY AIM TO:
- Decrease then eliminate as much as possible all carbon-based energies and strive towards energy independence and autonomy by developing a variety of renewable energies according to real possibilities: setting up solar panels, solar electric generators, micro – wind turbines, biomass recovery, geothermal energy, marine energies – currents, waves, temperature gradient
between sea surface and depths – or fuels based on terrestrial plant – including agricultural residues such as bagasse – and marine plants (phytoplankton). in public places and restaurants, collected food waste can be used for anaerobic digestion. an alternative would be, for example, cogeneration (thermal/mechanical then electrical) on-site which could therefore always be developed on restoration sites.
- Support sustainable transportation – electric transportation, bicycles, animals, etc. on the island, with the aim of completely eliminating all motor vehicles with thermal engines and ensuring they use renewable energies.
- Develop energy storage capacity and control-tracking of consumption with smart tools and meters (Smart grid, R2G Ready to Grid).