Area: 9,85 km²
Location: From Punta Eugenia, Baja California Sur, off the Pacific Coast of the Baja California Peninsula in Mexico.
Number of inhabitants: 302
Island Protected : Yes
Protection status :
- Terrestrial protected area, part of the El Vizcaíno Biosphere Reserve.
- MAB UNESCO as part of the El Vizcaíno since 1993.
- Important Bird Area. IBA No- 09
- Mainly fishing (MSC certified) that includes abalone, lobster, fish, sea urchin, snail, sea cucumber and sargassum.
- Aquaculture (abalone and sea urchin).
- Fish processing plant.
- Tourism (surfing, diving and occasionally cycling).
- Local trade.
One of the main challenges of the inhabited islands in the Pacific is that they are owned by the federal government, and therefore there is an enormous lack of support from the government to provide basic services such as waste disposal, among others.
The island is property of the federal government and managed by the National Commission for Natural Protected Areas (CONANP).